I may have to start cooking every day, just to add recipes to my blog! 🙂
This carrot cake was fun to make and easier than I thought. It was moist and pretty when cut. If you go to Allrecipes or follow the recipe URL to check, you’ll see that there is a cream cheese icing included in the recipe. I did not use that recipe. I use the Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe, and I’ll share it below. It’s a better alternative, I think, as it contains MUCH less sugar, and is just as tasty and delicious as any other cream cheese icing I’ve had. In my opinion 🙂
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- As with my previous recipes, I substituted self rising cake flour for the flour, baking powder and salt in the recipe.
- Instead of grating the carrots, I chopped them finely in my mini food processor.
- Substituted brown sugar for the white sugar.
- Substituted walnuts for the pecans.
- Divided the batter into two circular (silicone) cake pans. My oven is tiny! So, I baked one in the top and one in the middle rack. At around 20 minutes I switched the cakes. At 40 minutes, one was done, so I let the other one bake for a couple of extra minutes. Of course, this has to do more with my tiny oven, than with anything else…
- I don’t have a wire rack! So, I just let them sit on the counter in their pretty silicone pans until cool.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Melt butter and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, brown sugar, vanilla and almond extract. Beat with an electric mixer. When mixture starts to stiffen, stop mixer and add honey.
- Continue to beat until light and fluffy. Do not over mix, or it will collapse.
- Spread immediately and store cake in refrigerator.
- Did not melt the butter. I just let it sit at room temperature until it got really soft (I’m in Puerto Rico, so this goes very fast).
- Doubled the recipe, but only added half the amount of almond extract. Reviews on Allrecipes vary with regards to the almond extract. I actually liked the subtle almond flavor when halved, but I think the full amount may be too much for us.
- I used salted butter, because it’s all I had!